Thursday, May 19, 2011

Interrupting Dolpa for Folk's Visit...

Before I continue writing about my adventures in Dolpa, I wanted to share a few highlights of my time with my parents. After 8 months of being so far from home, it was FANTASTIC having a bit of home come to me, and to be able to show them some of what I've experienced in Nepal. I'll let the pictures tell the stories, and then post some observations about Nepal from my mom. Guest blogger day :)


Dad, mom, me and Swetha at Pashupatinath, a large, very holy (Hindu) temple in Kathmandu.


Mom and Dad listening to our guide at Pashupatinath. There was so much to learn!


Pokhara: We finally saw some mountains!


While in Pokhara, we met up with my friend Rai ji from the Gandaki Association of the Deaf. We went to dinner, saw cultural dances, and then got roped into participating at the end! According to Rai ji, mom's a fantastic dancer, but he doesn't think it's genetic...



Fewa lake at Sunset. Gorgeous.

We decided to head to Chitwan and see the elephants. Didn't know we'd be getting THIS close!


And then the elephant bent its knee...


And this happened. Can you tell who's who? Yeah, me neither. SO much fun though!



The elusive one-horned rhino! We finally got to see one on our jungle ride.


The "official" elephant ride.


Dad with Anu (my research assistant) and a few of my Banepa family members.


Swayambhu: the monkey temple. The big round thing in the back is a Buddhist Stupa, the small black statues are depictions of the Buddha.

Vocabulary Lesson From Mom:

Nepali understanding of concepts you thought you knew

Horn:

…”I’m coming around the curve”…”I’m passing you –on the right, left, gutter, at the edge of the mountain”…”You passed me and we made it!” ”You fool; I’m here!”… I’m turning right or left… & to pedestrians, animals, bikers, rickshaws…“I’m inches behind you so you better jump out of the way!!!”…

Water:

Something only the very lucky, wealthy ,blessed can use without thought…in third world countries, something which can bring life, suffering or death due to poor sanitation; cool, blessed relief after time in dry, dusty, filthy conditions. Many rural villages have only one fountain in the village square where everyone gets their water, washes, brushes their teeth, etc. These are some of the more fortunate ones…others have to walk a significant distance for their water, using a common well or spring in the mountains between villages.

Work:

A good and noble endeavor which may carry the power to remove dark, vacant stares from the eyes of God’s children; a myth-Something anyone who seeks it can have. A newly learned word: DOKO. Close your eyes and imagine a tiny man of late middle age, perhaps the size of Ghandi, dark-skinned, seemingly made of iron, with a wide strap across his forehead, attached at the neck to a six-foot high bookcase, approximately four to five feet across. Bethany has witnessed a similar sight of a man with two nearly full-size refrigerators making his way down the dirt road.

Joy:

Huge smiles, a slight bow, and “Namaste*” from virtually everyone with whom you make eye contact. We are, however, learning not to make eye contact with every shopkeeper, as this has a tendency to lead to “Ah, Madams, Sir! Come…See beautiful pashminas…only 500 rupees…”. Joy is evident everywhere: Gleefully dashing down a long, poorly lit hall, these words heard from the mouth of a dirty 7-8 year old boy… passing us by & hollering “AWESOME”, “AWESOME”!

*Nah-Mah-Staaaay: May the gods within me greet the gods within you (or as the tour guides say: Hello)

Dump Truck

Otherwise known as “Blinged-out Semi”. All over the roads in the entire country, nearly running buses off the roads, and sometimes the mountain cliffs. The trucks are covered with pictures of Hindu gods and goddesses (to increase business karma), painted in psychedelic colors, and the inside of the window is decked out in woven lace and bobbleheads. The back usually gives a cheery (or not so cheery) farewell, typically discussing road safety and love. Some examples: “Horn Please”, “See You!”, “Drive Careful”, “Good Love”, “Love Happy”, and – the painter may have been nursing a broken heart – “Love Hurts”.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bethany,

    My name is Lindsey Youngquist and I will be coming to live in Nepal in August as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar. I will live in Dhulikhel and study community health at Dhulikhel Medical Institute and volunteer at HRDC. I also hope to teach art and spend time at Sanjiwani School and the Kavre-Banepa School for the Deaf.

    I am from Seattle, WA and have been working closely with Rob Rose and TRIFC fundraising projects here in the states. Rob has great things to say about you! I hope that we will have the chance to meet and work together. My email is lindseyyoungquist@hotmail.com and I'd love to hear from you.

    Thank you for this blog, it makes me overjoyed to be coming to Nepal soon!

    Sincerely, Lindsey

    ReplyDelete